TikTokers Shows How They Made Over $13,000 Renting Out Their RV On Outdoorsy As A Side Hustle
The Wealth Gang team writes about financial information, passive income ideas, apps, programs, cash management tools and other wealth gadgets that we think you might want to use or learn more about. Sometimes, we write about products, services or items that might be associated with affiliate partnerships. In these instances, we will earn a small percentage of the revenue from sales. There is, of course, no cost to you.
Thank you for all your support! Without you, we could not keep this site running. Gang Gang!
In a perfect world, a side hustle should be something that brings joy and fulfillment to your life – not just additional income.
When you choose a side hustle that aligns with your passions and interests, you’ll be more likely to put in the time and effort needed to make it successful. Not only will you enjoy the process, but you’ll also be more motivated to see it through to the end.
If you love camping and want to make a couple extra bucks in the sharing economy, a side hustle with a platform like Outdoorsy or RVShare can be a great opportunity to turn your passion for the outdoors into profit.
What is Outdoorsy?
As the name suggests, Outdoorsy has been called “the Airbnb for RVs and campers.”
If you’re an RV owner, you can share your love of camping with others and provide paying renters with unique and memorable experiences.
You’ll also generate income from your rig when you’re not using it yourself.
With these platforms, you can choose when and where you want to rent out your RV, allowing you to balance your side hustle with your own camping trips and adventures. Additionally, these platforms focus on marketing, booking, and customer support, so you can focus on your RV’s upkeep and customer-forward business of renting it out.
Ultimately, a side hustle should be a source of joy and align with what you’re interested in and good at. TK
The platform links RV owners with renters, giving people the opportunity to explore and experience outdoor adventures in a unique way.
Why is renting out your RV a good side hustle?
If you own an RV, renting on a platform like Outdoorsy, RVShare, RVnGO can be a great side hustle for several reasons.
First, it offers an opportunity to monetize an asset that is otherwise not being used to its full potential.
Second, the demand for unique travel experiences has been growing, and RVs provide a convenient way for travelers to experience the great outdoors. For example, if you live near a National Park or or a major outdoor tourist destination, there’s lots of potential in the constant flow of travelers and tourists looking for unique camping experiences.
Additionally, the platforms themselves provide a streamlined process for managing bookings, payments, and insurance, making it easier for owners to rent out their vehicles.
These platforms already have a large user bases of established and rated customers, providing owners with a wide pool of potential renters. With the right pricing and marketing strategy, RV owners can generate income.
How much money can you make renting out an RV?
Overall, renting an RV through a platform like Outdoorsy can be a profitable and enjoyable side hustle.
The amount of money you can make renting out your RV varies and depends on several factors, such as the location, the type of RV, the rental period, and the demand for RVs in your area.
Outdoorsy has a calculator on their website to show potentially owners how much they can earn. Outdoorsy says “Earn over $50,000 per year” on their website as of this writing. Some RV owners say the sweet spot for earnings is between $10,000 – $30,000 per year, but remember this can vary widely.
Some RV owners reported earning much more, while others reported earning less.
If you go this route, the key to maximizing your earnings is to provide a high-quality RV that is well-maintained, in a high traffic tourism location, and equipped with the amenities renters are looking for.
Additionally, it’s important to price your RV competitively and be responsive to potential renters’ inquiries.
TikTok couple breaks down earnings from Outdoorsy.
The TikTokers Chatt RV rentals are currently documenting their experience renting out their RV on the site. They’re renting out a mint condition 32-foot Thor Four Winds Class C Motorhome.
The Four Winds is a widely-used RV that can sleep 10. You’ll see them on the highway or a campground all the time. Think: The Toyota Camery of RVs.
Here’s the video in which the couple breaks down what their earnings looked like, from August 2022 – December 2022.
How much money can you actually make renting RVs? This is how we did our first five months. 2023 is going to be the best year EVER! #rvrentalbusiness #rvrentalsidehustle #rvsidehustle #KAYKissCountdown #rvtiktok #rvrentalsinchatt #sidehustleideas #ineedasidehustle
Here’s the breakdown:
- August: $2533.05
- September: $2654.64
- October: $5166.46
- November: $1942.50
- December: $1099.91
Not bad for five months! Clearly their work and effort is paying off.
The couple answers questions in depth about their experience in the side hustle over on TikTok, as well as offers a Quick Start RV Course for people interested in getting started.
But keep this in mind…
It’s not going to be overnight. It will take work, patience, and lots of being on-top-of-it to get these kinds of results as an RV owner.
As an RV owner using these kinds of sharing platforms, here are some of the difficulties you might face:
- Competition: With a growing number of RVs being listed on the platform, it can be challenging to stand out and attract renters. Try to think about what makes your rig unique, from amenities to what major destinations are in close proximity that RV renters will be seeking out (ie: national parks, forests, beaches, and campgrounds).
- Maintenance and Upkeep: You know what they say about a boat owner’s best day? It’s the day they buy it and the day they sell it. Same story with RVs, especially when you have paying guests using it. RVs require regular maintenance and upkeep, which can be time-consuming and expensive.
- Insurance: RVs can be vulnerable to accidents and damage, so it’s essential to have proper insurance coverage. Look into the insurance provided by platforms for owners. Platforms like Outdoorsy provide insurance options for renters, but owners still need to make sure their vehicle is adequately insured.
- Pricing: Determining the right rental rate for your RV can be challenging, especially if you are unfamiliar with the market. You’ll want to set a rate that is competitive but also covers your costs and generates a profit. There are forums, groups, and other online communities for owners that can help you learn more about pricing strategy. One prominent one on Facebook is Outdoorsy, RVShare, RVnGO, RVezy, Wallabing and Good Sam OWNERS ONLY.
- Communication and Coordination: Coordinating with renters, managing bookings, and answering questions can be a time-consuming process. It’s important to be responsive and provide clear communication to maintain a good reputation on the platform.
Overall, renting out an RV through any of these platforms can be a great opportunity to earn extra income, but it also requires effort and commitment to make it a successful venture.