Summer Jobs 2022: These Are The Best Towns To Look For Work
The Wealth Gang team writes about financial information, passive income ideas, apps, programs, cash management tools and other wealth gadgets that we think you might want to use or learn more about. Sometimes, we write about products, services or items that might be associated with affiliate partnerships. In these instances, we will earn a small percentage of the revenue from sales. There is, of course, no cost to you.
Thank you for all your support! Without you, we could not keep this site running. Gang Gang!
Looking for a summer job this year? You’re not alone.
Last year, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that from April to July 2020, the number of employed youth 16 to 24 years old increased by 4.4 million to 17.5 million.
With the pandemic slowly winding down and states continuing to relax their restrictions, the number of people looking for a summer job is sure to explode, and we’re not just talking about high school and college kids.
Laid-off workers and people looking for a side hustle will be applying for a summer job to make up for lost money over the last 12-18 months.
So, where are the best places to look for a summer job in 2022?
With summer-job seekers in mind, WalletHub compared the relative strength of more than 180 cities across the United States to find the best places to get a summer job. The website took into consideration 23 key indicators, including employment outlook, affordability, and downtime-friendliness.
“Where you look for a summer job will matter almost as much as what you do. Naturally, opportunities will be more widely available in some places than in others, and while a job may pay well in one city, the same position may not pay as much in another.
Minimum-wage laws and local costs, for instance, will determine how much you earn and consequently what you’ll be able to afford in terms of housing, transportation, and social activities.
More importantly, if you’re supporting yourself, location will dictate how much of your income you’ll be able to save if that’s your goal.”
Here are the best places to find a summer job in 2022.
1. Scottsdale, AZ
2. Bismarck, ND
3. Cheyenne, WY
4. Billings, MT
5. Salt Lake City, UT
6. Overland Park, KS
7. Juneau, AK
8. Charleston, WV
9. Boise, ID
10. Portland, ME
11. Missoula, MT
12. Columbia, MD
13. West Valley City, UT
14. South Burlington, VT
15. Minneapolis, MN
16. Rapid City, SD
17. Tempe, AZ
18. Dover, DE
19. Chandler, AZ
20. Fargo, ND
Here are some of the more interesting findings from the summer jobs 2022 report:
- Orlando, Florida, has the most part-time job openings per 1,000 people aged 16 to 24 in the labor force, 317.59, which is 23.4 times higher than in New York, the city with the fewest at 13.59.
- Scottsdale, Arizona, has the highest median income for part-time workers (adjusted for cost of living), $27,317, which is 3.5 times higher than in New York, the city with the lowest at $7,817.
- Portland, Maine, has the highest labor-force participation rate of people aged 16 to 24, 78.12 percent, which is 2.1 times higher than in Irvine, California, the city with the lowest at 37.25 percent.
- Portland, Maine, has the lowest unemployment rate for people aged 16 to 24, 4.57 percent, which is 6.2 times lower than in Detroit, the city with the highest at 28.31 percent.
- Gilbert, Arizona, has the lowest share of people aged 16 to 24 living in poverty, 6.91 percent, 8.1 times lower than in Burlington, Vermont, the city with the highest at 55.81 percent.
To read the entire report, head over to WalletHub.
Current Top Offers
Invest in Commercial Real Estate With As Little As $10
Get a $50 bonus for creating and funding a new account
Invest spare change easily. Get $5 when you sign up for Acorns.
Earn an unlimited 1.5% back in Bitcoin on every purchase with the BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card.
Put your crypto to work. Get up to a $250 crypto bonus with a transfer of $100 or more in crypto.