Side Hustles for College Students
The Wealth Gang team writes about financial information, passive income ideas, apps, programs, cash management tools and other wealth gadgets that we think you might want to use or learn more about. Sometimes, we write about products, services or items that might be associated with affiliate partnerships. In these instances, we will earn a small percentage of the revenue from sales. There is, of course, no cost to you.
Thank you for all your support! Without you, we could not keep this site running. Gang Gang!
Side Hustles for College Students
College can be quite resource-intensive. It does not only demand a significant amount of time to complete various academic requirements. It also requires students to spend money to cater to the many different aspects of college life — accommodation, food, supplies, transportation, and other miscellaneous fees. These expenses are often shouldered by their weekly or monthly allowance given by their parents.
However, many college students find themselves short of money. Some might even want to save up for something but don’t have the extra cash to do so. Luckily, the era of technology has brought about several work opportunities that would help college students make money even as they deal with their studies. This ultimate guide will show you several side hustles for college students for them to become financially independent.
What Are Side Hustles
If you’re a college student and you have financial worries, fear not!
There are different side hustles that you can try to earn money from. Side hustles are generally freelance-based work whose income depends on the output or service done. Part-time jobs and side hustles are often compared but they are entirely different. Part-time jobs depend on someone’s employer to make decisions about the amount of work needed. Side hustles, on the other hand, allow individuals to choose their workload, as well as their earnings.
Side hustles are jobs that best fit college students.They come with a flexible work schedule that helps generate income that may supplement one’s financial needs.
Although working while studying can be difficult, it is much easier with side hustles as they can be done from the comforts of your own home. You have full control of your time since there is no fixed work schedule. You can plan your working hours so they do not conflict with your existing school-related activities.
Due to their flexibility, side hustles can even be a means of exploring one’s passions while earning money. Side hustles can be a significant source of income but as importantly, offer a source of enjoyment, happiness and overall satisfaction in life.
Benefits of Side Hustles
Side hustling certainly comes with a variety of perks and benefits. Most of them center around flexibility and freedom. The options are simply limitless.
First, there are so many income-generating activities that one can engage in without the commitment of a traditional 8-to-5 job. There are also no written rules that prohibit one from engaging in more than one side hustle. Many have even realized their side hustle has more benefits than a full-time position and making a complete living from them.
There are two different types of side hustles — online and offline-based work. Of the two, online side hustles are easier to do and more convenient. Typically the only requirements is is a laptops (or even a smartphone in some cases) and internet access. Nowadays, I don’t know many college student that don’t have these bare essentials as this infographic shows: almost all college students own a smartphone or computer.
Online Side Hustles
Let us now explore the most popular forms of online side hustles, including details on the job, its approximate income, and other useful tips to take note of when getting started with these side hustles:
Do Online Selling
Online Selling is a profitable side hustle that requires capital. This capital doesn’t always need to be money, though! Some people initially sell their belongings to act as the capital for this particular side hustle. It can be your preloved clothes, shoes or bags. It can even be homemade arts and crafts, food and other marketable goods! The possibilities are endless. As long as you have an item that you think can sell, online selling may be the side hustle for you.
Managing an online store may seem too big of a deal at first, but there are already many online selling platforms available nowadays. You can simply post a photo of the item you want to sell, along with its price and details, and that’s it! You’ll just have to wait for someone to buy your items from your online shop. The next thing you’ll have to think about is the modes of payment and product shipment.
Online selling is also non-committal. This means that one doesn’t always have to put stuff up for sale all the time. It is up to the online seller to decide whether or not to continue with this type of work.
Moreover, something great about online selling is that you can bring in money even as a single-person operator. Unlike physical stores where you would need to hire a new workforce for assistance, online shops could be run by just one person. However, one must take note of the importance of patronage when it comes to online selling. Most online shops thrive through an active consumer base. Since this type of side hustle is based online, it is vital to maintain a good reputation with your chosen audience by ensuring quality products and top-notch customer service.
The income generated by online sellers depends on the type of items you sell. Your chosen online selling platform also plays a role in how much you money you can earn. Popular items that are sold online include jewelry, gadgets, clothes, children’s toys and skincare products, among many others.
The largest and most preferred online retailing websites, like eBay, Etsy, Facebook Marketplace and Amazon also contribute to the amount of income generated through online selling. Maintaining a shop through these platforms is quite easy. It even gives the user a chance to study market demands and subsequently, make more money by selling trending items.
The approximate income made from online selling can range from $3,000 annually for smaller, private retailers and way more than $40,000 per month for larger power sellers.
How To Get Started
- An online selling business usually begins with making decisions about what to sell. You can take note of the different products that are profitable at the time. Follow popular online shops and research about the trends in the beauty, fashion, and food industry, for example.
- A side hustle like online selling requires the person running the business to be passionate about their work. Commit at least a few hours out of your usual schedules to help make the online business thrive. This is vital to maintain the shop’s customer base.
- Acquiring the items to be sold can either be done through buying, crafting or sorting pre-existing belongings. Online sellers have the freedom to choose what kind of products they would like to make a profit out of.
- Assigning a reasonable price to a product is also important to ensure buyers. Taking appealing photos and writing persuasive descriptions of each product will also increase the likelihood of customers to purchase the item.
- Online selling requires constant promotion to guarantee a profit. Developing online customer loyalty and satisfaction ensures success in this type of side hustle. It is also essential to choose the best platform to use when launching your online store.
To know the best books for starting an online business, you may visit this link.
Take Online Surveys
is a pretty straightforward task. All you need to do is search for a legitimate website that offers compensation for every round of studies answered. These legitimate websites are usually launched by market research companies that would like to know more about their consumers’ preferences.
Paid survey sites do not always reward its users with cash, though. Payment could be in different forms, such as cash, gift cards or reward points for certain online stores. Hence, you will be able to make some quick cash by answering online surveys. How hard could it be? All that matters is your opinion.
Some popular online survey sites include Inbox Dollars, Swagbucks, Prize Rebel and Vindale Research. These websites are popular for a reason — they have a large payout compared to other online survey sites and are very easy to navigate around on.
Even with little effort, this side hustle can earn you an income that ranges from $3 up to $35, per survey!
How To Get Started
- In some paid survey sites, you would have to be qualified to take surveys and their corresponding payments. This step verifies your identity, location and relevance to the survey population desired by the company.
- Most online survey sites require you to create an account on their website to be able to sign up. You may even be prompted to input your bank account for payout purposes. Be extra careful with crucial personal information when dealing with survey sites.
- The payout on online survey sites does not immediately get transferred to one’s bank account. Some companies take months to release even the smallest amount of money to those who answered their surveys.
- Even though this side hustle can be considered as easy money, taking online surveys to require patience. You could spend at least 20 minutes to answer one survey that would pay you $3. If you’re not one to wait, this side hustle might not be suitable for you.
Serve As A Virtual Assistant
Virtual assistance is an up-and-coming form of online side hustling that involves the outsourcing of an independent contractor who provides a variety of services for online clients. Through this type of work, one can make money even in the comfort of their own homes.
Virtual assistants perform administrative tasks such as secretarial work that includes, but is not limited to, personal errands like making travel arrangements and scheduling appointments. It also involves technical tasks such as researching, encoding data, and organizing online files. Hired virtual assistants can do just about anything, as long as it is legal and based online.
Aside from administrative-based work, virtual assistants may also be hired for content creation services, which may include writing, photography and videography. They can also manage e-mails and social media, handle finances, and customer interaction.
More and more companies and influential individuals have begun hiring virtual assistants for a variety of useful reasons. First is the accessibility to hire skilled experts in a particular field. Through this, employers would no longer find the need to train the people they hire for certain tasks. The person that they hired is already knowledgeable of the responsibilities assigned to them. Hence, hiring virtual assistants may be seen as a bang for the buck investment for companies or individuals that would like to cut costs on human resources.
Most of the time, virtual assistants charge their clients an hourly rate that ranges from $30 to $55 an hour.
How To Get Started
- To become a virtual assistant, one must advertise their services through legitimate websites that specialize in contracts or freelance-based work. Most popular freelancing platforms are upwork.com and elance.com.
- Highlight your individual strengths, such as valuable skills, training, and experience needed in the desired position may help in getting yourself hired.
- Assigning a reasonable hourly rate will generate more profile views. It will also increase the likelihood of attracting employers looking for competent virtual assistants at a reasonable price.
- Virtual assistants go through a screening process every time they are to be recruited by an employer. Since availing this type of service can become as expensive as hiring regular employees, virtual assistance demands a lot of time.
- Companies that endorse virtual assistance allow people to hire VAs through time packages that could last for a minimum of 10 hours, with some packages that can even run up to 75 hours.
- It is important to note that the websites which act as the agencies from which virtual assistants may be hired also take a commission from the fees paid to the VAs.
To become the best Virtual Assistant out there, you may read Diana Ennen’s Book, Virtual Assistant – The Series: Become a Highly Successful Sought After VA.
Write Online Reviews
For college students who are great with words and would like to make some money out of this talent, writing online reviews may be the perfect side hustle. If you’re interested, you just have to choose a legitimate site that would pay you cash for every review made. Some reliable sites are Opinion Outpost, Toluna Opinions, Software Judge, and Review Stream.
Online reviews can be done regarding a variety of different products or services available on the internet. You can write a review on a specific item sold online. You can also test some software and be paid to write a detailed review of your experience as its user.
The financial incentive of writing online reviews are not that huge despite the factor of time being inputted to the job. First, you’ll have to use the item being advertised. Then you will have to write the actual review afterward. Your review will then be published on their site for potential consumers to read.
Online review writing is a type of side hustle that promises the hiring company service an increased awareness of their products. This side hustle aims towards the successful marketing of a product being sold on the internet through online word-of-mouth that gives praise or positive reactions towards the item purchased. As a product feedback writer, you have the power to influence consumers to decide whether or not to avail of the product or service being viewed.
You can make $1 to $3 for every review you write! Some sites even allow you to submit more than one review per day so you can double or triple your earnings.
How To Get Started
- Set up an account in any of the sites mentioned above (or some other legitimate site that you prefer) that facilitate paid online reviews. You should have a mode of payment that the company may transfer money to, such as PayPal or an actual bank account.
- You can sign up to specifically test products for a particular company. In return, they would expect you to write positive reviews based on your perception of the effectivity of the product. Higher rates are given to writers who make more detailed reviews and who submit their evaluations in time.
- The potential to earn more income through online review writing increases if you review products that are currently trending and have a high demand.
- You may also receive cash bonuses if you write reviews that users deem as helpful in making the decision on which product to purchase.
Be A Translator
The demand for translation services has increased over the years. People have been trying to bridge the gap among nations. This is why translators play an important role. They serve as an effective means of delivering meaningful information to people of different native languages.
The era of technology might have ushered in the invention of several online translators. These applications convert text from one language to another at a faster pace compared to humans. However, such devices are not fully capable of replacing human translation services due to the complexities of language itself.
If you are able to speak and write more than one language, becoming a translator could be a useful money-making side hustle.
As the translating industry keeps on growing, more companies seek the help of translators to better express their thoughts into words for their chosen audience. This avoids the risk of mistranslations caused by free online translating services that most of the time, fail to provide accurate conversions of text to another language.
As a freelance translator, you can set your rates depending on your expertise on the language chosen! Initially, some people charge up to $2 per word for formal articles and up to $10,000 for translating an entire novel.
How To Get Started
- To make sure that you are qualified to be an online translator, inform your employer that you have had sufficient experience and training in the chosen language. It is not enough that you can speak it fluently. Since this side hustle is based online, effectively writing using the language is vital to guarantee future chances of finding a similar job after your translator gig is finished.
- Getting hired to translate might involve dealing with sensitive or private data that should only be known by your employer. You should give respect to this type of work by keeping the things you have translated confidential.
Check out Becoming a Translator: An Introduction to the Theory and Translation by Douglas Robinson to help you get the hang of this job.
Many college students pick this type of side hustle as it is similar to what they do in school, especially if they are English or literature majors or a focus on law.
This side hustle is very fitting for those who are adept in writing and grammar. Some writing jobs may require technical knowledge, while some grant the writer with creative freedom. As a freelance writer, you can look for gigs where you are paid based on the number of words required per article. There are also project-based gigs which are more stable compared to one-time freelance writing jobs.
Freelance writers are considered self-employed. As a result, you have the freedom to accept writing assignments from different clients. Since you will have no fixed employer, you have the liberty to choose what types of writing assignments you would like to take on.
There are different ways in which you can earn money as a freelance writer. You can engage in short-term projects such as blogs which require between 500-2000 words. You may also write articles that may go up to 15000 words! However, if you want a better income and a faster payout, go for those projects that require longer write-ups.
Your earnings as a freelance writer depend on the project assigned to you. As previously mentioned, most freelance writers charge their own rates depending on the number of words and type of writing assignment. Additionally, your experience can also impact the rate that you can charge to your client. You can charge a higher price if you have tons of expertise under your belt and can deliver excellent contents.
Intermediate to advanced freelance writers can charge their clients 10 cents to $1 per word. Income is still mostly dependent on the amount of work and time that you can put into a project.
How To Get Started
- You can look for opportunities to become a freelance writer in many trusted sites such as iWriter, Upwork, BloggingPro, Flexjobs, and JournalismJobs.
- As soon as you decide to try out freelance writing as a side hustle, make sure to collate your writing portfolio with samples of your works. This significantly increases the chances of getting hired by clients. Specializing in different kinds of writing styles or formats may also help you cater to a larger client audience.
- Set up your freelance writer page on social media, such as Facebook or Twitter. This is an effective promotional strategy to establish your credibility as well as attract more potential clients.
- You can also build a network with other freelance writers to further cement your status as a legitimate and reliable online writer. They can also give you tips on writing rates, client interaction and self-marketing.
This kind of side hustle is for those who are sociable and are skilled in sales or pitching. Affiliate marketing involves the promotion of a company’s product or service. You can choose the product that you would like to endorse to others. In return, the company gives you a commission if you make a sale.
Affiliate marketing may also be considered a type of passive income. You can earn even when you’re not working, or when you’re doing something else. In the case of college students, this bodes well because time is an essential resource as an undergraduate.
Since this type of side hustle is based online, you can think of several ways of earning money even in the comforts of your dorm. You can set up a blog page that highlights the company’s products that you are trying to promote. Or you may run an entire website which features different products that you are endorsing through affiliate marketing.
As an affiliate, you have to attract and convince potential customers of the value and relevance of the product you are promoting. Affiliate marketing gives you the freedom to select the products that you would like to advertise.
You can choose from a variety of product categories such as beauty products, books, food, toys, tools and other goods that may be bought off of the online market. Your recommendations as an affiliate are considered as an essential marketing strategy by the company.
Therefore this side hustle will entirely rely on your performance and effectivity as a brand affiliate.
Affiliate marketers may be classified into four earning brackets. These are dependent on the number of years of experience and the expanse of networks. Apprentice Affiliates earn the lowest (less than $100) while Low-Level Affiliates can earn up to $300 a day. Intermediate Affiliates, on the other hand, can make up to $2000 a day. Lastly, High-Level Affiliates can receive compensation worth $3000 and above, per day!
How To Get Started
- First, you have to find and join an affiliate program. Some of the best and most trusted affiliate marketing platforms are Affiliate Window (AWIN), Shareasale, MaxBounty, Tradedoubler, Flexoffers, Target Affiliates and Rakuten.
- As an affiliate marketer, you have the chance to choose the products you would like to promote. You can do this by browsing the online product catalog of your chosen affiliate marketing site.
- Before you can endorse your product, you must obtain an affiliate link first. This link redirects to the webpage of the product you’re trying to promote. These links are unique to each affiliate, so you might want to personalize them through link management. You can also use URL shortener service platforms such as bit.ly, goo.gl, TinyURL and Rebrandly.
- Set up your blog or website from which your affiliate links may be accessed. You can also post these links to social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Collect your commission for every time someone makes use of your affiliate links to purchase products! Commission rates can range from 5% to 50% of the product’s price, but this is all dependent on the company and the affiliate marketer offer you have accepted.
Check out this article to know the basics of affiliate marketing on Twitter.
Enter the Proofreading Business
For college students who are majoring in English, Journalism or Communication, this side hustle may be the one for you. Proofreading involves reviewing ready-made content and fixing possible errors before publishing. There is a variety of written content, which includes novels, textbooks, electronic books (e-books), websites, blog posts, reports, legal documents, magazines, advertisements, resumes, essays, presentations, and the like.
Freelance proofreading allows you to work independently. Hence you have the liberty of working on the projects you have accepted to do. Alternatively, some companies may hire your service temporarily for a specific period.
Since this is an online type of side hustle, there is much more flexibility and comfort in doing the job. You have the liberty to choose when and where you would like to work. This works for you since you can manage your time effectively.
You can accept proofreading jobs from the authors directly, or you may take contracts from publishing houses or printers. Moreover, you can secure offers not only by advertising your skills but also building networks within the freelance proofreading community. This would help you become successful in this side hustle.
The income generated through freelance proofreading varies since it is based on your rates. You may negotiate the payout with your client once you discuss the contract.
Based on standard rates, you should expect to earn between $25 to $45 per hour through this side hustle. Some people charge their clients per word, but hourly rates are more common. You are allowed to increase your rates given that you have undergone more training and experience in the field.
How To Get Started
- For this type of side hustle, you must have the necessary skills in proofreading before delving into your first project. These skills may include the following: in-depth knowledge of the English language, correct use of grammar and spelling, attention to detail, awareness of time (able to meet deadlines), and familiarity with necessary applications like Microsoft Word.
- You can try to gain certified proofreading training online. These courses are really beneficial specially if you lack the training or experience needed to secure clients. If you have the money, you can invest in an online proofreading course from legitimate sites such as ProofreadAnywhere.com and ProofreadingAcademy.com.
- Find freelance proofreading jobs online. Always be wary of the legitimacy of the sites you visit. Some highly recommended sites that provide job listings involving proofreading include FlexJobs, Indeed, PureContent, Fiverr and Upwork.
Write Resumes And Cover Letters
are beneficial for people who are currently job hunting. If you have a knack for making professional resumes and formal letters, then this side hustle will be perfect for you. Most job-seekers avail this kind of service to increase their chances of getting shortlisted for an interview, or better yet, hired for a job they have been aiming for.
It is crucial for resume and cover letter writers to secure clients to gain a steady source of supplemental income. As a beginner freelance resume and cover letter writer, you can take up small projects and ask your clients for feedback on your work. Through this, you can build your network and can even be directed through a referral system.
The earnings you get from an online resume and cover letter services vary depending on your rates. However, the average hourly wage can range from $10 to $12. Professionals and experts in this kind of job sometimes charge $100 to a whopping $1000 for top-notch resumes and cover letters. Even as a college student with little to no experience, you can earn up to $3000 a month if writing jobs continuously come in.
If you’re looking for a resource to polish your skills up yourself here, try this Resume Writing Program
How To Get Started
- It is essential to gain relevant skills in the field of resume and cover letter writing before looking for clients. Try to look up different types of resumes and cover letters on the internet. From there, you can sharpen your skills and knowledge by reviewing existing resumes and writing effective cover letters.
- Tons of reliable sites will allow you to provide your own freelance resume and cover letter writing services to potential clients. You can try out topresume.com, resumecvwriter.com and resumegenius.com!
- Remember always to assess the prices of your services. Charge people appropriately according to your level of expertise and the type of work you have been assigned to. Typically, people who are seeking jobs at the executive level would pay more for this type of online service.
Become An Instagram Influencer
If you’re looking for a side hustle that would help make you rich and famous, try becoming an Instagram Influencer! Nowadays, social media marketing has been very popular among the younger generations. The success of popular Instagram influencers has led to a rising interest in this particular field of work. Research has shown that such social media celebrities directly influence a large percentage of daily sales in the market.
Instagram, a photo and video sharing platform, is one of the most popular applications available for download through your mobile device. With over 400 million users and almost 100 million posts being made each day, Instagram has become a consumer favorite.
But what does an influencer do exactly? Broadly speaking, Instagram influencers act as content creators for the app who are expected to make visually appealing posts that would determine their popularity and impact. Since Instagram is heavily dependent on visuals and aesthetics, an Instagram influencer always needs to deliver beauty and quality at the same time.
There is a wide range of topics that Instagram influencers may share about on the app — travel, beauty, fashion, fitness, and food are immensely popular these days. Regardless of the chosen niche or field of interest, Instagram influencers are expected to have thousands of followers to guarantee a broad audience for promotional posts. Powerful influencers usually have millions of followers, and this indicates a bigger payout for every sponsored content published on their profile.
Income as an Instagram Influencer heavily depends on the popularity of the person. Having thousands of followers will help boost your audience reach, and in turn, you would probably get more promotional offers that will give you more cash.
In line with this, researchers have calculated that many digital marketing companies can pay one cent per follower. There has also been a payment scheme that has been enumerated by an actual influencer that showed the different price ranges of paid posts relative to the number of one’s followers. The price range goes as follows:
|Number of Followers||Price per Post|
|$100 – $500
$500 – $800
$800 – $1500
$1500 – $2000
$2000 – $6000
$6000 – $10000
How To Get Started
- To be considered as an Instagram influencer, you have to be somewhat skilled in photography. As a college student, you might not have the appropriate equipment to create high-quality photos that you can post on your profile, so making use of your gadgets (like a smartphone), as well as free editing software applications, will do for now. If you ever become successful in this kind of side hustle, you can even hire your own photography and editing service to help in the content creation process so that you don’t have to worry about the quality of your content anymore.
- Initially, you would have to set up a business account on Instagram. After choosing a specific niche that you would like your profile to be most known for, you can go ahead and write a compelling Instagram bio that would help attract more followers to your account.
Tips on How to Become an Influencer
- You have to show that you are passionate about what you do, so you have to carefully choose the niche that best suits your personality and expertise. Your job as an influencer includes sharing photos and stories that would capture your audience’s interest.
- You can gain more popularity if you branch out with other influencers and collaborate! As long as your niches match, you can build a network with fellow Instagram influencers and help each other bring in more followers.
- Maintaining a visually appealing and coherent profile is sure to fascinate your audience. If you would choose this type of side hustle, make sure to continually update your Instagram page with photos that are accompanied by well-written captions that perfectly capture your brand and personality.
- Using the appropriate hashtags will also help in increasing post engagement, so don’t forget to insert these into your photo caption! You can use several hashtags in one post, but you have to ensure that these hashtags are relevant to the type of content you are about to publish.
- Securing sponsorship deals with companies starts with getting in touch with brands. You can try to reach out to companies whose products or services you already like! Just send them a direct message through Instagram, or you may send them an e-mail that includes a pitch that talks about how you want to collaborate with them, and how they would benefit from your endorsement of the product or service on Instagram.
- Audience interaction is also an essential aspect of being an Instagram influencer. This helps in maintaining a loyal follower base that will most likely try out the products that you have promoted on your page.
Be A Blogger
Blogging is quite similar to freelance writing, but their key difference is that blogging has shorter outputs, usually ranging between 500 to 1500 words per blog post. Freelancer bloggers are typically hired by businesses to create professional, high quality written work.
Like most online-based side hustles, blogging is a tried and tested means of earning cash without having to struggle with working hours and salaries like that of a regular job. Most bloggers started by developing their online presence as a blogger. They did this by starting up their blogs.
Blog writers charge depending on the number of words that the client has assigned them to write. Like freelance writers, bloggers can charge 10 cents up to $1 per word. Still, this depends on their level of expertise, the nature of the writing assignment and the payment negotiated with the company or individual requesting the service.
How To Get Started
- Set up your blog or website. Get a domain name and register it. Start posting samples of your work to give potential clients an idea of your capabilities.
- You may also log in to your different social media accounts (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram) to promote your blog writing services. Additionally, you have the option to advertise yourself on freelance job-seeking websites like LinkedIn, Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer, PeoplePerHour, and Toptal, among many others.
- Collate the contact details of different companies or individuals that you are eyeing as possible clients. You may call or email them regarding your services, so make sure to ready your business pitch.
- Regularly update your writing portfolio whenever you have completed a client’s request or whenever you have written anything relevant to your blog. The more you practice writing, the faster you will be in churning out quality blog posts, and the quicker you will get your payment.
- It is wise to stick to specific topics that you are familiar with to build your expertise in these fields. However, some instances might force you to write out of your comfort zone. In a situation like this, research is critical.
- Develop your network with companies and other bloggers to increase the chances of landing offers with clients.
Read about Passive Income Blogging here. You may also read Jonas Mcguire’s famous book, Become a Blogger: How to Earn $1000 Per Month and Get Started with Your Own New Profitable Blog.
Deliver an e-Course
is one of the emerging types of online side hustles nowadays. Delivering an e-course is a work opportunity that is also open to students. People are always looking for ways to improve their knowledge in different areas of interest, and most of them are willing to pay for this kind of service online.
An e-course can cover just about any topic that people would be willing to learn about. It does not always have to involve subjects typically taught in schools such as Mathematics, Science or History. You can provide an online class or resource material that teaches people about the use of essential computer software such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel, or Adobe Photoshop.
Here, you can teach the basics of different skills that are highly desired in the workplace such as coding, file organization, market research analysis, copywriting, accounting, project coordination, and human resource management, among many others. Special skills like the ability to speak and/or write a foreign language, photography, culinary skills, graphic design, and the like may also be considered as profitable e-course topics.
As long as you think that you can provide a marketable resource material that would effectively teach your target audience, delivering an e-course may be the side hustle for you.
With this, you won’t always have to make different learning modules or content. Once that you have made your e-course available, people who might be interested can avail it, and you would then get paid. It is totally up to you if you would like to keep adding to the e-courses you have already made available.
The income of online educators varies depending on the type of e-course that they deliver. Collegiate level instructors who provide professional expertise on specific subjects can earn up to $2500 for a course that runs for an entire semester. For virtual online classes which teach various knowledge and skills, you can expect to be paid around $10 to $15 per hour.
How To Get Started
- You can start to develop your e-courses by deciding on the topics you would like to cover. Once you have already created your content, you can either begin your blog where you can post your online courses for people to avail. You may also employ the use of sites that specialize in providing e-courses. Some legitimate sites include Udemy, Coursera, Lynda, Khan Academy, Teachable, and Skillshare.
- You can buff up your credentials as an e-course teacher by acquiring certification online. This is usually recommended for those who would like to pursue this kind of work full-time in the future.
- Competition is fierce in securing your audience since there are a lot of people in the same type of work. Make sure that the content that you will deliver offers better benefits to your potential customers. Choosing a reliable site to post your e-courses in will also help in your growth as an online educator. Popular sites are usually teaming with prospective students.
To help you get started, check out Teach Online: Develop Your First Online Course by Jeanette S. Cates.
You may also create a video about this e-course and earn money by posting on YouTube. Click here for the details on how you can go about it.
Publish an E-book
If you have extra time on your hands and writing is one of your passions, you can try out this side hustle! Collegiate level education has most likely equipped you with the technical skills needed to write e-books in any genre of your choice. Having the knack for writing doesn’t just come to anyone, so if you’ve been dabbling with literature writing or if you have been an avid reader during your teenage years — why not make money out of it?
A writer’s work is challenging, especially when creating entirely new content. Apart from this, e-book writers face another challenge where they would need to self-publish their work. This is where the internet comes in and makes it easier for authors to publish their e-books online through their clients.
The people who are earning supplemental income through e-book publishing shared that they sometimes call this type of side hustle as “ghostwriting”. Similar to freelance writers, ghostwriters are paid by their clients to write e-books. But the catch is, the ghostwriter does not take credit for the e-book once it has been published online. The ghostwriter’s name would not appear as the author, or even a contributor, in the e-book.
You might initially think of ghostwriting as illegal or unethical due to the ownership of ideas published in the e-books written. However, most people in the freelancing or side hustle business view ghostwriting as a chance to earn more money than other side jobs. Ghostwriting also removes them of the responsibilities and complexities that come with being the author of an e-book.
E-book writing is a side hustle that generates a large amount of income when completed. Just like freelance writing, you have the freedom to set your rates and negotiate with clients about your payout. E-book writers or ghostwriters can also be granted the opportunity to charge more from their clients since e-book writing can be quite tricky.
You can even earn up to $6500 monthly if you secure good-paying projects from clients. The income of e-book writers, although varied, typically range in the thousands. After all, writing an e-book requires a great deal of time and skill.
How To Get Started
- Initially, you can scour the internet for job listings that call for e-book writers. Make sure to only access job postings on legitimate sites such as Upwork, The Write Life, Freelance Writing, and Funds for Writers. These sites can even customize your job search and filter the results by allowing you to set your desired income range and preferred job category.
- Before viewing possible projects, you must decide on your per-project fee. By determining your rates, you can eliminate job listings that do not fit into your desired income range from the pool of potential projects that you might accept. Remember, e-book writing is a robust yet fulfilling side hustle. Always negotiate with your clients if they seem to be offering you less of what you have expected.
- Once you have accepted a project, submit a proposal based on the requirements set by your client. Be wary of deadlines and pass outputs on time.
- Try to enjoy your work! E-book writing is a side hustle born out of the idea of turning your passion into a profitable activity. Hence, it is crucial to carefully choose book genres that are in your field of expertise or comfort zone.
Do Transcription Work
The transcribing industry can be deemed reliable in providing people with opportunities to work from home. Job listings that actively look for project-based transcriptionists to hire are quite common in popular job search engines. This type of side hustle does not require formal education, but most online transcriptionist have attained at least a high school diploma. If you’re interested in pursuing this kind of side hustle, you should prep yourself by practicing your typing and listening skills.
Transcription work involves the conversion of speech into text format. There are many different purposes of transcribing, such as matters concerning business, research, medical reports, and legal documents. With this, it is a requirement to have access to a laptop or a desktop computer to be able to take part in this side hustle.
Transcription work is not an easy task. You would have to learn to listen and type simultaneously. Hence, this kind of side hustle is known to be well-paying in correspondence to the estimated amount of time and labor spent on completing the task.
The usual rate per minute of audio ranges from 75 cents to $1.50. Advanced transcriptionists can even earn around $25 to $30 for every hour spent on typing.
How To Get Started
- There are numerous sites that you can visit to search for job listings that are looking for transcriptionists. These sites are Rev.com, Upwork.com, Athreon.com, Scribie.com, Tigerfish.com, TranscribeMe.com, GoTranscript.com, and Transribe.com.
- To acquire more training in this field, you must regularly practice and assess your typing and listening skills. You must also be able to work on your typing speed and proficiency in grammar, as well as spelling.
- Hiring agencies typically hire transcriptionists depending on the skills that they could offer. For example, the industry standard for transcribing an hour of clear audio is four hours. The expected audio-to-text rate is estimated at one hour of transcription work to convert 15 minutes’ worth of clear audio. Keep training and improving your typing speed to be able to qualify for job posts requiring the services of advanced transcriptionists.
For more options on the most profitable online business out there, you may read this article.
Offline Side Hustles
Now that we have become familiar with the different online side hustles that college students can engage in, let us move on to other side hustle options that are based offline.
Offline side hustles involve work that is usually done outside of the home, apartment or dormitory. Like its online counterpart, an offline side hustle is not a permanent kind of employment. It is also typically regarded as a way of earning supplemental income without the same commitment of a regular day job.
A certain commonality between online and offline side hustles involve the pursuit of one’s passions. Most of the offline side hustles listed below are influenced by hobbies and skills related to the arts and sciences. To an extent, offline side hustles reflect the personal interests of an individual that may or may not be directly related to the degree they are currently taking.
Listed below are the different offline side hustles that college students may be employed in:
Enter The Ride-sharing Business
Recently, the ride-sharing business has been observed to be a rising type of consumer service, with its popularity being widespread in metropolitan areas around the world. Ride-sharing is a recent innovation in public transport that has been made available through mobile applications such as Uber, Lyft, Zimride, Wingz, Juno, Gett, and many others.
Ride-sharing is a concept developed to aid the transport industry in terms of accessibility, comfort and efficiency. To counter the many difficulties faced by commuters, ride-sharing businesses were established.
Convenience is not only for commuters, though. Ride-sharing provides people with good-paying job opportunities. As a service based on transportation, drivers are critical to the operations of ride-sharing. If you own a car and would like to utilize it to earn money in your spare time, entering the ride-sharing business can be a viable option for income generation.
Most ride-sharing companies hire independent drivers and offer them contracts for temporary or part-time employment. On the other hand, some ride-sharing businesses outsource their drivers through hiring companies. As a vital component of the market itself, hiring drivers can get competitive among companies. Hence, if you plan to pursue this side hustle, you can check the rates offered by different ride-sharing platforms.
The total earnings vary for different ride-sharing platforms. The fare charged per trip usually ranges from $12 to $16. This payout scheme also includes numbers from the income made through premium bookings in apps like Uber (Uber SUV/Uber Black) and Lyft (Lyft Lux). At specific time slots, fares may increase or decrease due to factors like customer demand, inclement weather and the current traffic situation.
How To Get Started
- Before anything else, this side hustle requires the ownership of a vehicle. If you don’t have one, you might want to choose another type of side hustle. You may want to try working for a taxi cab service company.
- It is important to note that being a freelance driver for a ride-sharing company entails full responsibility for the expenses made for vehicle maintenance such as gasoline, repairs, parking, car insurance, tolls and the like.
- Make sure that you are an eligible driver with a valid license in your area. Once you have secured this requirement, you can then apply to be a driver with the above mentioned ride-sharing companies.
- Although this side hustle is based offline, you would need to have access to the internet, probably through mobile or cellular data. It is also advisable for you to have your cellular phone where you may download the ride-sharing app developed explicitly by your employer for their drivers. This kind of app will alert you of nearby commuters who are looking for transportation services. It will also show the driver the routes to be followed in reaching the desired destination of the customer.
- In maintaining your vehicle, remember always to fix up the interior to give your customers a comfortable experience. Also, you can play good music and even provide your customers with small snacks or candies. As much as possible, ensure your customers with a safe and enjoyable ride that is worth their money.
Be A Tutor
This offline side hustle may be considered as one of the most popular jobs among working college students. It is convenient for a lot of reasons. It is usually a preferred means of earning extra cash because of the accessibility of learning resources, the flexibility of tutorial schedules and the guarantee of customers.
Knowledge resources are readily available, especially when the client availing the tutorial service is also in college. At times, collegiate level education may seem too difficult for others. Because of this, some people avail of tutorial services from reliable and experienced tutors in hopes of understanding the course content and eventually, passing the subject itself. Usually, people hire tutors who have taken the same subject or course so that they can be sure of the tutor’s expertise in the subject that they have requested to learn about.
An offline tutorial service run by a college student might be considered a difficult challenge due to prior commitments and time constraints on the part of the tutor. However, tutoring services allow flexibility in scheduling teaching sessions. The tutor and the student may negotiate a particular teaching time slot where they should be able to meet frequently (about 3-5 times a week). It is also essential to decide on a meeting place that is conducive to study.
The income from tutorial services is based on the rates that the tutor offers. The rate is usually on an hourly basis and depends on the tutor’s level of expertise. Prices can range from $30 to $40 per hour for tutors who are undergraduates, and rates can even go up to $85 for certified teachers with prior tutorial experience and advanced knowledge.
How To Get Started
- Since this side hustle is more of a client-based job, becoming a tutor doesn’t mean that the work will take up all of your time. As a college student, you can try to work around your school schedule.
- You can opt to identify the particular grade or year levels of your target tutorial students. However, if you are capable of handling different grade levels, you can do so. You just have to be wary of the extra work that has to be done in making or acquiring the learning materials for each level.
- As previously mentioned, tutors are expected to provide their students with the necessary learning materials. You can give them relevant readings and reviewers that would help them understand the course content better.
- It would be your duty as a tutor to be patient with your students since people learn things at a different pace. In times where your students are having a hard time digesting information, you can employ various teaching strategies based on the kind of learner that your students are (visual, auditory, reading/writing, kinesthetic). Remember to also keep in mind the grade level that your student is in so you can adjust your lessons and activities accordingly.
- You can search for clients in your college campus, or you can advertise your tutorial services in trusted sites such as Upwork, TutorVista, Ulessly and WizIQ. To look for potential clients from your school, you can try posting flyers around campus that promote your services and include your hourly rate, your contact details and your relevant credentials.
If you do not know how to become the best tutor out there, read How To Tutor by Samuel L. Blumenfeld.
For those who regard photography as one of their passions, you can make a profit by selling your original photographs or by providing photography services! This kind of side hustle is considered offline since the actual photo-taking takes place in actual, real-life settings. Whereas, the digital component of this side hustle is in the photo post-processing that happens afterward the pictorial proper.
In this side hustle, it is advisable to have your professional camera. It is best to have the necessary equipment for the job, especially if you wish to provide this kind of service in the future. Other essential tools like backdrops, filters, flash reflectors and tripods are also useful when doing outdoor or studio shoots. These specialized devices can help ensure your customers of the legitimacy and reliability of the products and services that you offer.
Furthermore, photo editing software is highly essential in producing high-quality outputs. Some of the most popular ones are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, Skylum Luminar, CaptureOne and Corel Paintshop Pro. These applications offer its users with a wide range of editing tools that would render their desired results.
In this side hustle, you can expect to earn as much as $100 per hour, and printed photos can be valued, starting at $25 per photo.
Just like other side hustles whose income relies on experience and skill, your own rates as a photographer can increase depending on your expertise. In some situations, people hire photographers or avail of their merchandise because of personal preferences in photoshoot themes and editing styles.
How To Get Started
- It is desirable, but not required, to be creative. This trait would help you have an artistic edge over other freelance photographers. If you discover a photography style that best fits your artistic vision — go for it.
- Creativity goes a long way but still takes you to your desired path. Continuously sharpen your photography skills by researching about different techniques and shoot pegs.
- Don’t undervalue your work! Despite not having a name in the industry yet, remember to charge your clients in correspondence to the amount of time you have already spent in taking and post-processing the photos.
- To set your identity, among others, you may set up a social media page or a blog that exhibits your work. You can also design your own logo that you can place on your outputs.
- Remember the importance of a portfolio in this industry. Always have one available for online access or offline use. This would give you potential clients an idea about your capabilities as a freelance photographer.
You may also post these photos on Tumblr and even make money out of it. Here is a detailed guide on how to make money on Tumblr.
The food delivery service industry is booming these days. With more and more mobile applications being developed for the convenience of everyday activities, it is no surprise that even the food industry has caught up with such technological trends. Ordering food has become quite a hassle, especially with the long queues and the bustle of the dining environment. Hence, food delivery services have been developed to cut down the time wasted while waiting in long lines or while looking for places to dine at.
Since its introduction around the year 2016, people have patronized this type of service for its convenience, efficiency, and variety of restaurant choices. In line with this, the online market has observed a surge in food delivery applications available for download. These include Uber Eats, Grub Hub, Door Dash, Postmates, Seamless and goPuff.
Actual food delivery freelance drivers have reported that they can earn up to $2000 monthly. Typically, this side hustle has an hourly rate of $11 to $16. However, it is vital to take note that income generation still varies depending on the food delivery service company that a driver has been employed in. Pricing schemes are different for each application.
How To Get Started
- Food delivery drivers usually use a motorbike with an attached insulated food warmer that stores the food to be delivered. Most of the time, the motorcycle used is owned by the company.
- You also have to download the counterpart app of the food delivery mobile application to be able to access customers’ orders and location. The app will also help you navigate routes that will help you deliver the customers’ orders quicker.
- Food delivery services, much like ride-sharing enterprises, also prefer to hire independent drivers for their operations. This allows contract-based employees to enjoy flexibility in their work schedule.
- Food delivery services may be the side hustle for you if you are looking for a non-committal kind of work that pays well.
Do you love animals? If you have a soft spot for them, you can try pet-sitting as a side hustle! Pet-sitting is the act of supervising the pets of the employing household while the owner of the pet is away. The primary responsibilities of a pet-sitter include:
- feeding the pets
- refilling/cleaning their water bowls
- taking the pets out for a walk or general exercise and play
- cleaning up after the pets (pick-up method or through the litter box)
- providing temporary companionship, love and care to the pet!
This kind of side hustle entails a lot of obligations, but everything would surely pay off knowing that you are earning good money from taking care of cute animals! If you establish enough rapport with your employer’s pet, you might just be up for regular pet-sitting duties.
For pet owners, it is essential to consider the pet sitter’s relationship with their pet to ensure that their precious furry creatures are in loving and capable hands. Another fun benefit of pet-sitting is the chance to look after different kinds of animals!
Pet-sitters charge on a per-day basis. On average, their rates can range from $20 to $40 a day. Still, their income depends on the services that they have done. If technical skills like grooming and administering pet medication were done, pet-sitters could charge more.
For extended periods, pet-sitters can charge $75 to $85 for overnight pet-sitting. Special cases like pet-sitting on holidays, additional pets and other specific instructions can also cost more.
How To Get Started
- Your love for animals might be an excellent motivator to pursue this side hustle, but being a pet-sitter can be a rewarding yet challenging task. You can attend a pet-sitting training class to improve on essential aspects like pet discipline and even fun tricks.
- It is recommended for pet-sitters to get liability insurance to cover for any accident that might happen when pet-sitting. This can include actual physical harm from the animal or property destruction due to pet misbehavior.
Contrary to the name, babysitting does not just involve taking care of babies under the age of 1. Toddlers, children and teenagers may also be watched over by a babysitter. As a matter of fact, babysitters are in high demand nowadays.
A majority of parents in the United States are actively looking for babysitters to hire during special events within the year where they would like to spend some time with their significant other. Babysitters are frequently requested to help working parents to balance their personal and work lives. Statistics even indicated that a large number of parents in the US had spent between $10,000 and $30,000 for baby-sitting services per year.
If you would like to take full responsibility for the safety and well-being of small children while their parents are away, why not offer your own babysitting services? However, baby-sitting is a dire role. It requires a natural inclination to child-rearing and a passion for childcare.
There are several duties expected of a babysitter, and they are as follows:
- preparing and giving meals
- bathing and dressing children
- administering kids’ medicine
- doing household chores (sweeping, wiping, cleaning)
- teaching kids discipline
- facilitating fun and educational activities for the children
The average hourly babysitting rate is about $17 for one child and approximately $20 for two kids. The hourly charge increases for every additional child or service. This is in the case of an independent babysitter.
If you are under a babysitting company, you may be hired more often. However, your employer may also receive a commission from each of your babysitting appointments.
How To Get Started
- Before taking up this side hustle, you should be sure about it. Baby-sitting might be seen as easy money where you just watch over a few kids for a few hours and get paid at the end of the day. However, baby-sitting demands a certain level of maturity that requires the babysitter to assert their temporary role as the leader of the household while the parents are away. Through this, the children will be more behaved and disciplined.
- Get ready to have your patience tested. Other necessary life skills that are relevant to baby-sitting are communication skills, multitasking, problem-solving, time management, creativity, and confidence. As a demanding type of work, baby-sitting can still teach you a thing or two about family life that can help you grow as a person!
- To look for job opportunities in babysitting, you can set up an account in trusted job-seeking websites such as Indeed, SitterCity, Care.com, Greataupair.com and Sitter.com! You may also advertise your baby-sitting services to households around your neighborhood. A referral system is also helpful in increasing customers. Establish a good reputation as a babysitter and wait for more people to avail of your services.
- To organize your day with the kids, you will be babysitting, plan out a schedule throughout the day that would cover all the necessary activities such as bath time, meals, games and naps.
Similar to babysitting, but minus the babies, house sitting involves watching over the house while its owner is away for an extended period. It’s quite a straightforward activity. However, this type of side hustle requires a lot of trust coming from your potential employer.
You can first establish this trust with possible employers by creating your own house sitter resume. It must include relevant experiences, skills and knowledge that would be useful in house sitting. In the same resume, you should also explain your goals and motivations on why you want to be a house sitter. Describe how you found out about house sitting and why you would like to try it. Highlight your explanation on why you think you are an excellent fit for the job.
A house sitter goes by an hourly rate, which is about $12 on average. Sometimes, the compensation is more substantial than usual because of factors like house size and time (e.g. holidays like Christmas, New Year’s and summer vacations).
How To Get Started
- Only list down your tried-and-tested skills and knowledge on your resume. This would help potential clients in shortlisting applicants as a house-sitter.
- Upon finishing your house sitting-specific resume, you can now post it on different job-seeking websites. Remember to practice caution when posting your personal information on the internet.
- When you find a house sitting job opportunity, make a thorough background check of the family or individual requesting of the service. Just like how you would want to develop trust with your employer, you should also have a reason to trust them apart from the fact that they would be paying you to watch their house in their place.
- Set your dates of availability to prevent scheduling house sitting responsibilities over school-related activities.
- Once you get the job, make sure that you meet with the owners first before they leave. Ask for more details about the situation, as well as clarifications on the house rules and other general information. It’s better to be sure about what you’re doing so you won’t have to bother the homeowners while they’re already away!
Run A Sports Clinic
If you are one of the sporty, jock types even in college, running a sports clinic might be a suitable side hustle for you. Although compared to the previously listed offline side hustle opportunities, running a sports clinic may be one of the most energy-consuming activities. Nevertheless, many people still engage in this line of work for the fulfillment that it brings.
To establish a simple sports clinic, you would have to enlist the help of others. Look for skilled individuals that can guide and play with your target audience. It’s a must if you’re planning on teaching different sports at your sports clinic. In line with this, it is advisable to set up a sports clinic for kids aged 7 to 12. Even though they are harder to control and have less attention span than older children between the ages of 13 and 18, kids are always energetic and curious. They also have the knack to learn things quickly.
Since your target audience is children, do not expect to earn much from this side hustle. The pursuit of passion is one of the most common reasons for this activity. The objective of running a sports clinic is for the participants to learn and enjoy sports.
The registration fee for sports clinics can range from $100 to $130. Once all the prices are collected, the total will be subtracted by the money spent for setting up the venue and for creating the publicity materials that promoted the sports clinic.
How To Get Started
- Every successful sports clinic has a complete array of different equipment suitable for teaching the basics of various sports (e.g. soccer, basketball, tennis, and volleyball are popular choices)
- Request for the assistance from skilled athletes. They can serve as great role models for the kids who will be attending the sports clinic.
- Create publicity materials, both online and physical, to promote the activity. Include the necessary details such as the date, venue, featured sports and contact information of the organizers.
- Prepare early for an activity as important as this. Conduct dry runs of the sports clinic and arrange the schedule of the events that the children will be participating in.
- Regularly communicate about the logistics aspect of the activity, which includes the provision of food and beverages, sponsorships and donations, as well as the purchase of insurance for the children attending the sports clinic.
Supplement this strategy by getting a glimpse of the basics of sports medicine through Brukner and Khan’s Clinical Sports Medicine. This book will teach you how to address injuries should your student experience it.
For the musically-inclined individuals, this side hustle will help you generate funds while you pursue your passion for playing instruments or singing. You can be a private music teacher and earn money while teaching lessons to students!
Usually, teaching music is delegated to the people who have already obtained college degrees related to this field. However, it is possible to teach music even without a degree! All you need is to have the talent, as well as sufficient knowledge on music theory, note reading and finger styles. All of this is dependent on the instrument that you mainly play.
Though, if you can play more than one instrument well, then good for you and your students. You will be able to share your knowledge with more people, and your students can choose which instrument they would like to learn to play.
This type of work is dependent on finding students to teach. Some people who want to teach music to apply for jobs at music studios or music stores, while some musicians build their student base independently.
Teaching private music lessons generate a lot of income. The average rate is $30 per hour, but as the lessons advance, so does your payment. As a private music teacher, you have the freedom to calculate your rates and adjust them according to your level of expertise.
How To Get Started
- First off, you’ll have to offer a music teaching service for your instrument of choice. You have to be proficient and competent in playing this instrument so that you can teach another person how to play it.
- Familiarize yourself once again with important topics on music such as music theory, music styles or genres, instrument types, posture, finger styles, and one of the most crucial, note reading.
- You can definitely share useful tips and tricks that you know to your students! Try to be firm in discussion and patient in the actual playing process.
- Your credentials or level of expertise should determine your target student population. If you have mid-level knowledge, then you should not teach high-level students. As much as possible, match your abilities with the capacity of your student to learn.
Start A Baking Business
The last suggestion for offline side hustles is the establishment of the baking business. If you love baking (and you’re good at it), you can try selling your creations to gain a profit! The baked goods business has been around for quite a while now. And yet they still thrive even in today’s fast-paced society that promotes quick meals that taste nothing like home. Hence, it is an excellent indicator to still have a lot of people interested in starting a baking business that capitalizes on warm, homey treats.
You can sell a variety of baked goods, such as the following:
- Brownies and Bars
- Cupcakes or muffins
The baking business, as profitable as it is, requires a lot of equipment and ingredients. These resources do not come cheap. However, it would be an excellent investment if the baker wishes to pursue this kind of side hustle as a full-time job. Since this is another extension of the pursuit of passions that side hustles promise, you are most likely going to enjoy this type of work.
Becoming a baking business owner may seem like a grave responsibility, but it involves you having fun because you get to do something you love. Moreover, it allows you to express your creativity in the treats that you are making. As long as you have a kitchen and even a brief background on baking, you’re good to go.
A rough estimate of what a newbie baker in the business makes is about $2000 a month. There is always a market for baked treats, so your business will keep thriving along with proper promotion and a considerable budget scheme.
How To Get Started
- Before diving into the idea of baking business, make sure that apart from knowledge in baking, you also have sufficient knowledge and skills on safety in food preparation.
- Decide on a selection of baked goods that you will sell. It is best only to choose a few options for the first few months. You may also want recipes that require almost the same ingredients so that you can buy them in bulk and save money from purchasing larger quantities. As your business progresses, you may expand your menu and offer items that are based on your customer’s preferences.
- You should also decide on how you will be selling your products. Will you be making it available for purchase online? Or will you sell it within the vicinity of your area only? Is it possible to have your goods shipped? These are vital questions that will help in establishing how the business will be facilitated in the coming months.
- Competition may be tough in the baking business. You can level up your online presence by creating a page on social media (e.g. Facebook and Instagram) and promoting your products there. You can also print out physical posters or flyers that include the goods available at your store, your contact details, and most especially, the name of your store.
Read Nick Mal’s How To Bake: Complete Guide book to enhance your baking skills.
In this article, we have learned about the two different types of side hustles that a college student may try to pursue to gain extra cash; these are online and offline side hustles. For side hustles based online, you can choose from any of the following:
- Online Selling
- Online Surveys
- Virtual Assistance
- Online Reviews
- Freelance Writing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Instagram Influencer
- E-course Teacher
- E-book Publisher
On the other hand, you can try applying to these offline side hustles if you have more time on your hands:
- Tutorial Service
- Food Delivery Service
- House Sitting
- Sports Clinic Organizer
- Music Teacher
- Baked Goods Business
Side hustles are a means of earning extra income that you can use either to save or spend on fees. You don’t have to fully depend on your parents to give you monthly allowance anymore. Though there are tons of side hustle options available, you still need to consider a lot of factors. You would have to pick the most lucrative side hustle where you can also find happiness and enjoyment. Think of it as a temporary break from regular academic life.
Moreover, it is exciting to note that even people in the working class engage in side hustles for almost the same reason as college students. Aside from earning money that would supplement their income from their day job, some workers choose to pursue individual side hustles that are in line with their passions in life. Even if we did have the choice to select a degree that would lead us to a profitable job in the future, perhaps there will always be a side of us that would like for us to step out of our comfort zones and explore more possibilities of employment.
Learn While Having Fun and Earning Money at the Same Time
In this ever-changing society, staying in the same job won’t help us grow as people. It is in the short but fun opportunities like these side hustles that give spice to life and a renewed perspective of work.
Work doesn’t always have to be serious — even college, too. Don’t take the joy out of your college years by worrying too much about your financial worries, for example. In this age of technology, making money is not much of a struggle anymore. The internet has given so many jobs to people, and it just keeps on giving. There are tons of opportunities available, and you have to find them actively. The world truly is at our fingertips, and you just have to learn where to look.
Today’s generation are lucky enough to have an easier like because of these innovations. Side hustles are just a byproduct of such innovations. The human desire to continuously develop and progress has led to this. We should all hope that everyone would make use of the different platforms provided by the internet in further developing ourselves — not just our careers in school or at work, but our actual self as well.
So if you are thinking of trying out any of the side hustles discussed in this article, always remember to match your knowledge and skillset with the job and ensure that you will deliver what is expected of you — your value, your growth and your salary are all dependent on it!
For more side hustle ideas, check out The Side Hustle: How To Turn Your Spare Time into $1000 a Month or More by Nick Loper.
Current Top Offers
Invest in Commercial Real Estate With As Little As $10
Get a $50 bonus for creating and funding a new account
Invest spare change easily. Get $5 when you sign up for Acorns.
Earn an unlimited 1.5% back in Bitcoin on every purchase with the BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card.
Put your crypto to work. Get up to a $250 crypto bonus with a transfer of $100 or more in crypto.